Table Of Content
- What is SSL Certificate
- How to Acquire SSL Certificate
- Types of SSL Certificate
- Benefits of SSL Certificate for Website Security
What Is SSL Certificate?
When I hear or see SSL certificates on the web all that comes to mind is WEBSITE SECURITY, which can never emphasize. Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is used to encrypt and protect data sent between two systems. Every website on the web should be fully secured. Having and SSL certificate on your website is one of the first step to implement website security
Let me explain further, with the increasing importance of website security, it is essential for webmasters to convert their HTTP URLs to HTTPS URLs. HTTPS URLs provide an extra layer of security and are becoming a standard for some websites. This is especially important as the websites contain sensitive information such as user data and personal accounts. This helps protect your website from malicious attacks, as well as ensuring that your users’ data remains secure.
However, in 2014, Google made an important announcement at the Google I/O conference – they had begun using HTTPS URL as a ranking factor. This means that websites that use secure HTTPS URLs foe security will rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs) than those that don’t.
How to acquire an SSL Certificate?
An SSL Certificate for your website security can be obtained through (1) your host and (2) a certificate authority. Below are the web hosts that include SSL certificates in their services and hosting plans:
Read Our Previous Post:
How To Add Blog Post In WordPress
Types of SSL Certificates
There are different types of SSL certificates, each providing different levels of security and authentication. The type of certificate you need depends on your business model and customers’ expectations. Following are the different types of SSL certificates available, so you can choose the right one for your business.
- Extended Validation Certificates (EV SSL)
An EV certificate is a type of digital certificate that provides additional website security and validation for your website. Unlike a standard SSL certificate, an EV certificate undergoes a more rigorous vetting process by the issuing Certificate Authority (CA).
- Organization Validated Certificates (OV SSL).
Organization Validated Certificates (OV SSL) offer the highest level of security and trust for your website. OV SSL is the industry standard for website security, and it’s essential to get one if you want to protect your site from hackers and other online threats.
- Domain Validated Certificates (DV SSL)
Domain Validated Certificates (DV SSL) are one of the most popular types of SSL certificates on the market today. The certificate is issued by a Certificate Authority (CA), which verifies that the website’s domain name matches the organization that owns it.
- Wildcard SSL Certificates
A Wildcard SSL Certificate is an important tool for any website owner. It allows you to secure all subdomains of your domain with a single certificate.
- Multi-Domain SSL Certificates (MD SSL)
Multi-Domain SSL Certificates (MDC) are designed for securing multiple fully qualified domain names with a single certificate.
- Unified Communications Certificates (UCC)
If you’ve ever wondered what those little green lock symbols in your browser’s address bar mean, they’re called Unified Communications Certificates (UCC).
Benefits of SSL Certificate for Website Security
In today’s digital age, it is important for websites to take robust security measures to protect the data of their clients.
- This is especially true when requesting comprehensive client information in a contact form, such as a client’s name, email address, and phone number. Websites must ensure that they have proper protocols in place to keep this sensitive information secure and safe from potential hackers or other malicious actors.
- Additionally, websites should also be aware of any applicable privacy laws that may affect how they store and use this data. By taking these steps, websites can create a secure environment for their clients and help protect their personal information like credit card information.
- Also, an SSL certificate helps your customers to be confident when checking their logins and browser history. Hence, if your website doesn’t have an SSL certificate, your customers might likely abandon and never revisit your website.
And yes, SSL certificates are essential as they play huge roles in domains, websites, and hosting. Indeed I’m sure the information provided above will help you upgrade and embrace the advancements and benefits that an SSL certificate can give you.
If you need further help with this topic, you can contact Bernixe Tech. Bernixe Tech is a well-established web design agency, and we can help you with your website design needs